Sunday, March 31, 2013

Slice of Life Day 20: Sitting on Easter


I went to Staten Island today to celebrate Easter with family and also to celebrate my little cousin's first Holy Communion. I sat through a 45 minute car ride there (while studying math), sat in the church for another 45 minutes before the service actually started, and then sat through a 2 hour long church service. It was soooooo long. Eleven fifth graders (Lutherans tend to mark this occasion at a bit of an older age than Catholics, or at least that's what I have found) made their First Holy Communion.

When I thought that the service was almost over, 18 new members rose up, and a ceremony was held to induct them into the church. I was not expecting that, and however nice it was, I really wanted to leave. Communion for the rest of the congregation must have taken a good 15 minutes, and the line seemed to never end. After receiving bread, we were supposed to dunk it into either wine or grape juice, but in my home church we get our own little cups of the drink. I like my church's way better because I think it is more sanitary. I like sanitary.

After the service, we all headed over to a mediocre Italian restaurant. Both my chicken parm and my pasta tasted like peas, and I don't know why. I don't really like these family lunches because I just sit there and don't talk. I don't have anything in common with my cousins, and we never seem to be able to hold a conversation. One is 3 years older than me, one is 6 years older than me, and one is 4 years younger than me. Their cousins were there too (one is my age and one is two years older), but they used to pick on me when we were little, and I don't know why we can't be friends now... I am willing to bet that my personality has changed quite a bit since I was 4... So yeah, I just sat and talked to my aunt and my mom a tiny bit while trying to digest my pea-tainted food.

After sitting in all these different places, I sat in the car once again for 45 minutes to get home. And now I am sitting and finishing my homework. Yay for sitting.

2 comments:

  1. My family lives in Staten Island too! We usually go there for Easter but for once they actually came to our house so we didnt have to drive this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you still check this blog?

    ReplyDelete