Sunday, March 10, 2013

Slice of Life Day 6: Astrology


Just take a moment to think about it; does astrology make any sense? Horoscopes that pool together everyone with birthdays within a month of each other and predict that similar things will happen to all of these people? Either ensuring a sense of false hope or a fear of the upcoming day? But how are horoscopes really created? For some reason, I highly doubt that some higher power magically comes and shares them with an employee whose job description is "horoscope writer". Are we who we are because the "stars were aligned" a certain way when the day we were born?

This morning, I was out and about and told someone in their mid-twenties that my birthday is coming up at the end of March. "Oh, you're an Aries!" she squealed with a weird sort of excitement. "You must be feisty!" She then proceeded to explain to me what my personality must be like. And why? Solely because I happened to come into the world during that month-long timeframe? What if I had been born two weeks earlier, when my original due date was? That would make me a Pisces. But would that really make my personality any different? Besides being alive for a grand total of two more weeks, would any major events in my life be any different? Probably not. Astrology enthusiasts would probably just choose to perceive only the aspects of my personality that are commonly associated with Pisces people.

Back to when this person called me "feisty," an adjective which I can honestly say I have never been called in my entire life. If all Aries people are supposed to be "feisty", then what if there was an Aries birthday conference? Would we all just be strutting around, aggresively voicing our opinions and instigating arguments? That would certainly be an interesting experience. What about the newborn baby ward in the hospital while Aries babies are being born? Would there just be bundles of "feisty" babies crying and screaming their heads off? I would certainly pity the nurses if that was the case, as they would probably fear the arrival of Aries babies.

I just don't think astrology makes sense. All of the aspects just don't fit together for me. But if it makes sense for you, feel free to comment and share your view!

2 comments:

  1. "Would there just be bundles of 'feisty' babies crying and screaming their heads off? I would certainly pity the nurses if that was the case, as they would probably fear the arrival of Aries babies." I see your point...
    I don't really believe in horoscopes either--it's just chance when you're born, and I'm sure people in your month don't all act exactly the same. And I know that you, Vanilla Twilight, are NOT feisty. You're anything but feisty. You're the one who will sit by an argument and offer Oreo cookies or try to give hugs with arms that are bent backwards. Be happy that you're not feisty xD
    However, sometimes when I read the horoscope descriptions of people, I can't help but be a little freaked out. Although some points are way off, others describe me perfectly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I sometimes do find horoscopes that are frighteningly accurate, but I just get annoyed when people base life decisions solely on astrology and think that every aspect of it must be right.

      Delete